activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} HornetQ & ActiveMQ's next generation
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 00:44:22 GMT
Sure absolutely.

I changed my mind a few times during this thread. The rationale for my
revised recommendation is:

1. Many in the activemq community accept the notion that hornetq has
technical merits, yet very few actually looked at the code. We are
nothing more than a peanut gallery for the hornetq guys.
2. If I were one of the active committers in hornetq, I would jump at
the opportunity to build the project and community without the activemq
baggage. Independently (in the incubator) the project has the freedom to
go whatever path they choose.
3. In the incubator they would benefit from far better mentoring than
what they get in the ActiveMQ pmc.

Yes, the hornetq commmitters did a lot of work (didn't get much help
also). It would be frustrating and a bit unfair to them. Yes, their
opinion does count.

Renaming the subproject to something else than activemq6 was not
accepted. This would have been imho a very simple solution until such
time that a strong community exists. By that time, it might be activemq
7 or 8, who knows. The strong push from one side of the fence to keep it
as activemq6, concerns me. It sounds like the hornetq proponents feel
that the only way to be successful is to (what is perceived as) hijack
of the activemq brand and future of the project. And the idea that the
activemq project will die without the infusion of hornetq is, well,
insulting. What facts support that statement? I, personally, react very
strongly to such manipulative comments.

Now that Chris is aware of this threads, I think enough points of view
were expressed and I hope we'll soon hear a more authoritative opinion.

Best,
Hadrian

On 03/25/2015 06:52 PM, Rob Davies wrote:
> Hadrian  - so the original vote was to accept the code into ActiveMQ specifically. We
would have to check with the HornetQ developers to see if now going to incubator instead was
acceptable to them - but it does seem to me that their desire to join ActiveMQ was borne out
of consolidation of the code bases - and it does appear it was accepted in that vein. The
HornetQ code base has been worked on to be ready to pass ASF release guidelines - but actually
trying to release it had caused a lot of concern within the community, which is understandable.

> So instead of passing HornetQ to the incubator - wouldn't it be better to  start a discussion
on how some/all/none of it  could be incorporated into ActiveMQ? I'm not sure this had happened
yet.

> Rob
>

>> On 25 Mar 2015, at 20:53, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Surely, calling it HornetQ (or whatever name the community chooses) and building
the community in the incubator does not prevent anything you mentioned from happing, right?

>> Apollo did it right actually. Some folks said that they had a better idea, called
the project Apollo, not activemq-6 (although there were the same references to plans for apollo
to become the core of the next generation of activemq). And the Apollo community went on to
prove its viability. The fact that it didn't happen has many reasons, most of them not technical.

>> As an ASF member I am interested in the viability and maturity of a project community.
HornetQ is not yet there. And the fact fact that it's called activemq-6 effectively prevents
the current mature activemq project to have a version 6 in any shape that is not HornetQ.

>> I was kinda neutral initially and did not get involved in this thread initially.
But the passion to keep the activemq6 name for hornetq, makes me very suspicious (coupled
with past experiences) that I am getting very strongly in favour of hornetq being re-hosted
in the incubator where there are many very experienced ASFer that could mentor and assist
(more than in the ActiveMQ community). If HornetQ will not happen, the same way Apollo didn't,
this will prove to be another distraction. Some are excited about the future, others are frustrated
about the present.

>> Cheers,
>> Hadrian
>>

>>> On 03/25/2015 03:00 PM, Christopher Shannon wrote:
>>> My team has been using ActiveMQ pretty heavily for the past couple of years
>>> and we have been following the ActiveMQ 6 discussion from the beginning
>>> last summer.  It was always our impression that HornetQ was going to become
>>> the core of the next broker (just like Apollo originally was) and overall
>>> our team is excited about the idea of going with HornetQ as the next
>>> generation of ActiveMQ.
>>>
>>> Mostly, our reasons are from the technical side of things.  My team is in
>>> the source code every day making modifications for our own needs and
>>> ActiveMQ certainly is showing its age.  Hiram has already made good points
>>> earlier as to why HornetQ would provide a better foundation from a
>>> technical standpoint going forward.  Another really big thing for us is
>>> that our team has been waiting for JMS 2.0 support for a while and it
>>> doesn't seem like anyone wants to support it in the current code base.  We
>>> need to be able to support a variety of protocols (STOMP, JMS 1/2, AMQP,
>>> etc) which is something HornetQ does.
>>>
>>> I think that calling it ActiveMQ 6 is the way to go as long as it still
>>> supports all of the features in ActiveMQ 5.x (Virtual Destinations,
>>> OpenWire, etc) before going final and there are clear migration
>>> instructions.  We would need to have ActiveMQ 6 either support KahaDB or
>>> there would need to be a way to migrate existing data to the new data store
>>> type.  We would also need to be able to have a network of brokers that
>>> include both an ActiveMQ 5.x broker and an ActiveMQ 6.x broker.  Lastly, it
>>> would also be nice to have a roadmap posted and kept up to date so we can
>>> track the progress of the code and test out milestone releases.
>>>
>>> In my opinion having another sub project (along with Apollo) would just
>>> make things even more confusing.  As Andy pointed out, having everyone in
>>> the community join together to support one broker going forward would
>>> produce a better broker than by splitting up resources and potentially
>>> causing it to die out.

ActiveMQ