activemq-dev mailing list archives

From jbertram <jbert...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} HornetQ & ActiveMQ's next generation
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:07:51 GMT
I'm not sure I follow you here, Jim.  Both Andy and I have labored to clarify
the history of the donation.  See  here
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-HornetQ-ActiveMQ-s-next-generation-tp4693781p4693932.html>

and  here
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-HornetQ-ActiveMQ-s-next-generation-tp4693781p4693997.html>

.  In my mind, the facts of the matter paint a different picture than the
virus analogy you described.

Just for clarity's sake, here's a quick review with some additional details
to flesh out the timeline a bit:
  1) July 8, 2014, discussion is kicked off regarding code donation.  See
here
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Possible-HornetQ-donation-to-ActiveMQ-tp4682971.html>

.  One initial thought is that the donated code would take the mantle of
ActiveMQ Apollo to be the next generation of ActiveMQ.

  2) The donation is affirmed and welcomed.

  3) The community consensus is to place the donated code into a git
repository named "activemq-6" (or some equivalent).

  4) The Git repo https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git
is created and the donation is committed on October 31, 2014.

  5) A JIRA project named "ACTIVEMQ6" is created.

  6) Jenkins jobs "ActiveMQ6-Nightly-Regression-Test" and
"ActiveMQ6-PR-Build" are created.

  7) GitHub pull-requests are sent and JIRAs are opened providing nearly
daily reminders on the dev-list that work on the "activemq-6" repository is
happening.

  8) March 10, first RC of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 is put up for vote.  See
here
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/VOTE-Apache-ActiveMQ-6-0-0-tp4692911.html>
.  RC is voted down mainly due to catX dependency issue.

  9) March 12, second RC of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 is put up for vote.  See
here
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/VOTE-Apache-ActiveMQ-6-0-0-tp4692911p4693119.html>

.  RC is voted down due to another catX dependency issue and a few other
odds and ends.

  10) March 17, third RC of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 is put up for a vote.  See
here
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/VOTE-Apache-ActiveMQ-6-0-0-tp4692911p4693345.html>

.  RC naming is debated a bit.  By March 23 consensus seems to be that
releases should be suffixed with a "-M#" to let users know ActiveMQ 6 isn't
yet a full replacement for ActiveMQ 5.x.

  11) Later on March 23, for the first time to my knowledge broader concerns
about the code donation becoming ActiveMQ 6 are raised.  The discussion
ensues across the whole community on different threads until now.

>From steps 1-10 (covering over 8 calendar months) there is no clear
objection that the donated code-base should not be the basis of the next
generation of ActiveMQ.  The matter is discussed in the open with lots of
community members weighing in.  From all I can see, the community consensus
was clear (at that time) and the work was done in good faith.  Obviously new
opinions have come to light over the last week and so the RC vote was
cancelled and the discussion is moving forward.  Again, the community
process is being honored.  I don't see how the virus analogy applies or how
this could be characterized as a hostile takeover.