activemq-dev mailing list archives

From artnaseef <...@artnaseef.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} HornetQ & ActiveMQ's next generation
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 18:58:43 GMT
I don't agree with the presumption that ActiveMQ *needs* a *new* broker.  Nor
with the argument that it will die out if it doesn't get one.

Whole-sale replacement is hard.  I worked in a company that *still* uses
technology dating back to 1980 because several efforts to whole-sale replace
the existing platform failed.  That approach is hard.  Note that I am not
arguing that it's impossible, but this does make me concerned that even with
the AMQ-6 name, HornetQ may fail to replace ActiveMQ - even as it continues
as a completely successful product of its own.

With all of that said, if it proves that ActiveMQ dies out without a new
broker, I am alright with that.  As mentioned before, if HornetQ takes over
the market, I don't see that as a bad thing and look forward to the
opportunity to contribute there, or move on to other things.