activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Have every committer on the PMC by default
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2015 02:24:57 GMT

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 8:42 AM, Gary Tully <gary.tully@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In that way, committers that are interested in project management
> duties can indicate same with their votes. Effectively self elect to
> step up to the task.
>
> What is the down side?

The main thing I have seen with projects that go this route is that the bar to become a committer
starts to go higher.   Subconsciously, people start thinking that folks need to contribute
more and show a longer commitment to the project before being voted in as a committer because
that means those people would also be PMC members and be “responsible”.   People wait
longer to call votes.   That can discourage people from getting involved.

Personally, I think we need to LOWER the bar to be a committer and avoid things that tend
to raise it.   Grant committership easily, then the PMC becomes a goal as the person sticks
around and becomes more involved.   Helps encourage them to do just that.

--
Daniel Kulp