activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PR Process on github.com/activemq6 repo
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 16:44:39 GMT
On 12 November 2014 16:21, Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would like us to use the pull request approach on
> github.com/apache/activemq-6.
>
> To me that's a no brainer... PR commits is the best approach... simpler to
> handle, review.. and you could even get tests working to validate the
> changes are consistent and accurate with the testsuite. It really improves
> collaboration with anyone interested in contribute code.
>

> However, We have a two issues to get sorted to make that work:
>
> I - PR builds We will need a bot user that would have push authorization on
> the mirror:
>
> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/GitHub+pull+request+builder+plugin

I doubt infra would be happy with a bot user having push rights to the
repo. There is a Pull Request build process (sounds like you already found
that though) leveraging the ASF Jenkins instances though. You can log in to
Jenkins with your existing committer ldap credentials, but you will need
granted rights (by the PMC chair usually) to actually configure anything on
it.
https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/github_pull_request_builds_now

> II - Authorization for committers to close PRs.
> We will merge PRs manually but we still need a way to close PRs when we
> reject issues.

In the past this has been ruled out, committers can request addition to the
'Apache' organization on github that the mirrors live under, but only infra
team members have the necessary rights to update anything within it. The
expectation seems to be that you either file JIRA requests with infra to
clean up stale Pull Requests, ask the person who opened it to close it, or
leverage commit messages to do so ("This closes #foo" etc) when merging to
the ASF hosted git repo.

Robbie