activemq-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Wayne Irwin (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Created] (AMQ-5313) ActiveMq consumer intermittently hanging after reconnect
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2014 14:34:12 GMT
Wayne Irwin created AMQ-5313:
--------------------------------

             Summary: ActiveMq consumer intermittently hanging after reconnect
                 Key: AMQ-5313
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5313
             Project: ActiveMQ
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: JMS client
    Affects Versions: 5.9.0
         Environment: AIX 6.1, AIX 7.1, IBM Java 6, IBM Java 7
            Reporter: Wayne Irwin


I have run into an intermittent problem with ActiveMQ V5.9.0. The intermittent was tracked
down to being a connection error that does not get properly recovered. 

I have recreated the problem in a very small example by creating a Camel 
consumer route that retrieves messages from a JMS queue and writes the text message to a log.
  

        from(TEST_QUEUE).routeId(TEST_QUEUE).convertBodyTo(String.class) 
             .log(LoggingLevel.INFO, loggerName, "Request Received ");
 
  The connection string used is 
  failover:(tcp://serverd05.company.com:26093?keepAlive=true)?jms.prefetchPolicy.all=0
   
Please note that polling is being used when the prefetch size is set to 0. 

I then use Hawtio on the ActiveMQ broker to add some text messages to the queue. It works
fine.
 
I then stop the Client Connector on the ActiveMQ broker side to simulate a 
broken connection on the consumer side. (The broker must be remote to the consumer or the
error will not occur.)  The client logs show that an 
EOFException is caught and the connection is reestablished. The connection also appears on
the ActiveMQ broker. it only looks good though. Sending new text messages to the queue will
not be processed. They will just sit there.  There are no errors or warnings logged on either
the consumer or broker servers. Restarting the consumer will cause the messages to get processed.
The reconnection only intermittently fails. I find is much more like to occur if 10 minutes
pass from the previous message being processed. 

I turned on trace=yes in the connection string and found the root cause is the PullMessage
commands are occasionally not being issued after a reconnect.  On cases where it works, the
log shows that the PullMessage commands do reinstate. 

I am wondering if this might be a race condition, as this problem only showed up when the
consumer was on fast servers 




--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.2#6252)

Mime
View raw message