activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: AMQP 1.0 connection property names
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 16:54:38 GMT
On 05/14/2014 10:23 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> My interest is mostly around conveying the main component being doing the
> messaging (e.g. Qpid Messaging C++ Client, ActiveMQ Broker) rather than the
> application, but I can see that could be useful too in some cases.

Yes, and I don't want to overcomplicate things. In some cases 'product'
might be a little ambiguous is all.

> Making product be a map of name:version entries would certainly allow
> conveying more information, but could also make it harder to use the
> information for anything except blind display, as you would need a clearer
> idea in advance of what is going to be there to do much else with it given
> each 'aggregate product' could convey different things and may even end up
> giving different map key names to the same effective sub-component (e.g
> they might say proton-engine, or perhaps just proton).

Agreed.

> That said, I imagine that kind of thing could be an issue anyway whether it
> was a map or just a simple value because it ultimately depends on if/how
> the information is populated in the first place.

Related to that, would a separate version be needed, or could that be
included in the product? The main case I can think of where you might
want programmatic access to this is in choosing (hopefully temporary!)
workarounds for different interop issues.