activemq-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Console - let's get the problem defined
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 08:10:35 GMT
On 1 February 2014 21:27, artnaseef <art@artnaseef.com> wrote:

> James Strachan-2 wrote
> > No one wants to maintain it for one; it's been dormant for years; plus
> > it's
> > kinda crappy.
> >
> > Second there's a much better solution now. Though It'll probably annoy
> you
> > if I mention it out loud.
> >
> > Third, jolokia is probably enough these days for runtime sevices (nice,
> > lean REST/JSON API to the mbeans). Any devops can knock
> > themselves out with any script/tool/web page with that.
> >
> > BTW before the Savoir/Talend zealots jump in with further conspiracy
> > theories; jolokia isn't a Fuse/Red Hat project at all, we've no
> > committers.
> > It's just a great, lean solution to the management issue.
>
> Got these:  Dormant.  Alternative exists (this is an external solution,
> correct?).  Jolokia.

Its not a UI though, its a library; there's no branding so no issue.

> James Strachan-2 wrote
> > Look closer. But to be honest the code's been neglected with little
> > community for so long, folks probably stopped raising anything but bugs &
> > security issues many years ago
>
> It feels like this is close to a valid concern.  But I just don't see it.
> "It hasn't had much attention" could mean it's stable.
>

> James Strachan-2 wrote
> > The web console is the same old crap
> > it's always been. I wrote quite a bit of it many years ago; I apologise
> > for
> > it profusely-  but it still deserves a sympathetic burial.
>
> Why does it deserve a burial?  If it's old and unmaintained, then why is it
> a pain point?

Its a big security risk, its a lousy console, it makes the project look bad
and noone wants to maintain it any more - and it uses up a huge amount of
space in RAM and in the distro.

>  As I've mentioned before, I've used it and still use it, and
> see people posting statements that they are using it too.

Thats fine - as a separate project folks can still include it in distros
and use it.

--
James
-------