activemq-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 08:27:16 GMT
On 1 February 2014 06:56, Chris Mattmann <mattmann@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi James,
>

> (note [DISCUSS] in front of [VOTE] for clear delineation)
>

> >I think this thread is a perfect example really. Just re-read the mails
> >above if anyone needs more proof.
> >
> >A vote starts to move some old crusty code for a pretty crappy console
> >(which the main developers and maintainers have kinda given up on) to a
> >different directory in subversion on a different release cycle; so a
> >community can either form around it or it can eventually be moved to the
> >Attic. Queue lots of the usual attacks on Red Hat folks from the usual
> >suspects from Talend & Savoir who every chance they get spew bile,
> >personal
> >attacks, conspiracy theories, question our integrity, professionalism and
> >motives. Its gone way beyond being irritating and offensive really; its
> >now
> >becoming downright hilarious. You go guys! Keep up the amazing work, am
> >sure ActiveMQ developers and users are really loving this stuff!
> >
> >In comparison - we've had no bullshit at all on github. Its a breath of
> >fresh air, amazing tooling and its great fun. There's a very low barrier
> >entry and we seem to already have got more contributions at hawtio from
> >folks than we've ever got for the ActiveMQ web console.
>
> I'm sorry -- are you suggesting that simply because you are on Github that
> you don't get community flare ups?

I'm suggesting that at github, its pretty hard to run a smear campaign like
certain folks from Savoir & Talend have been doing against Fuse/Red Hat
folks here at Apache for some time. On github I've yet to see any personal
attacks, FUD, slander, conspiracy theories or innuendo yet. I've not even
seen a flare up either but I'm sure that'll happen one day.

> >Incidentally I don't know if you've noticed; Apache isn't the centre of
> >the
> >universe. There's some amazing opens source going on elsewhere - mostly on
> >github - e.g. docker, angularjs and vertx to name but 3 off the top of my
> >head are huge game changers.
>
> And in case you haven't noticed Apache still has a LOT of really cool stuff
> going on too.

Sure. Like I said though, its not the centre of the universe; there's cool
stuff all over the place. Apart from in the Hadoop ecosystem, most of the
cool stuff seems to be increasingly outside of Apache these days. If Apache
is so amazing I wonder why?

--
James
-------