activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Zakeria Hassan <zak.hassan1...@gmail.com>
Subject Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2014 22:03:11 GMT
Hi,

It's no surprise that the Apache ActiveMQ project is world renown and the
Apache community is filled with some of the greatest minds in the software
industry. I'm proposing something new and I know not everyone will agree
but this is what open source is all about, open collaboration from everyone
and anyone. Apache community is also known for their long lived projects
and one item that we should consider is today's young 20-something year
old's "like me" are really attracted to JavaScript in particular Node.JS.
I'm proposing a Node.JS Client library for accessing ActiveMQ JMS messages.

I wrote a little JavaScript to access the RSS atom feed for the web console
(not committed yet) then I looked into Jolokia where even more stuff can be
done.

Here is some of the code: https://gist.github.com/zmhassan/8702385

Since its RESTful based I think it is possible to make an API in Node.JS. I
looked online and no one has done this yet for ActiveMQ.

What motivated me to do this was this Youtube video by Tim Berners-Lee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM6XIICm_qo

Benefits:

   - It will bring younger, diverse in skill set contributors to the Apache
   ActiveMQ community.
   - Much of the code written in Node.JS can be re-factored and reused on
   the client-side.
   - This will open the doors to new innovation... That's what we want..
   Right?
   - This will ensure that this project is around for the next 40 years.
   - We all learn a more modern technology.

Frequently asked questions?

   - *What is Node.JS?*

It lets developers write JavaScript on the server-side and is growing in
popularity around the world.

   - *What companies use Node.JS?*

http://nodejs.org/industry/

   - *Whats in it for Zak or Why am I doing this?*

I am a volunteer and I don't gain any benefit except the satisfaction of
playing a small role in this open source community and making sure this
open technology stays open now and in the future.

   - *Where will I host the project to see progress?*

I will be hosting it on my github account:

https://github.com/zmhassan/activemq-node.js

Note: It will follow Apache Licensed 2.0

Best Regards,
Zak

Twitter: https://twitter.com/prospect1010

Github: http://www.github.com/zmhassan

*"Empowerment of individuals is a key part of what makes open source work,
since in the end, innovations tend to come from small groups, not from
large, structured efforts."- Tim O'Reilly*