activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2014 09:02:40 GMT
Chris,

On 1 Feb 2014, at 07:26, Chris Mattmann <mattmann@apache.org> wrote:

> My definition starts with a PMC that knowingly shipped a big front-facing
> part of
> its product that had links all over it to technical documents, youtube
> videos, company
> specific information and yet didn't have anything remotely resembling
> Apache as a first
> class citizen.

> So yes, it's more than shipping a web console from another OS Apache
> License project.
> You (part of the Apache ActiveMQ PMC) help to ship an Apache endorsed
> release that
> didn't respect Apache IMO and got the attention of trademarks and the
> Apache board.

It wasn’t blatant, is wasn’t deliberate - ActiveMQ has a lot of committers and a large
PMC. The reality is that there are only half a dozen committers who have been consistently
active on the project and have written a very large proportion of the code. If you look at
the committers who are active, there’s little cross over between them and committers on
hawtio. A good indication of real activity on the PMC  is to look at who’s been voting for
new committers or new releases  - its consistently 6 or 7 people - James Strachan isn’t
on that list. That’s not a good thing for the project - but its natural for a mature project
to fall into this pattern. There was a genuine intention to improve the ActiveMQ project by
including a new console (along side the old one)  - that was clearly a mistake,  but it wasn’t
a blatant attempt to circumvent the Apache brand.

There’s actually no branding policy which covers these situations - I’d be happy to help
create one.

thanks,

Rob