activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Console - let's get the problem defined
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 18:27:43 GMT

If you do a “mvn install” in activemq-web-console, the resulting war file is about 22mb
in size.  Thus, if you you deploy that war into tomcat or something to remotely manage a broker,
you would take the full 22mb hit.   However, there are a couple issues with that:

1) That war does contain some stuff that I’m not sure should be there.  Why would a war
deployed into tomcat need all the jetty jars for example?  It has the activemq-all jar, but
it also has all the jars that make up activemq-all.  Thus, that 22mb war should be WAY WAY
less if someone would take a few minutes to look at it and pull the stuff that shouldn’t
be there.

2) We don’t use that war when we do the activemq-admin command.   As you pointed out, the
incremental “cost” of the current console over the standalone broker is really about 1MB,
no where near the 22mb.   It’s not a lot.   I believe most of the stuff in lib/web would
also be used for the ws interface into the broker which is on by default.  Thus, that hit
isn’t part of the the admin console only hit.

In any case, with 5.9.0, the hawt.io console would have a larger potential impact than the
activemq console.   From my perspective, just ignore the “22mb” number and lets just work
on getting a nice, usable console in place.   :-)

Dan