activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 08:10:00 GMT
Hi Johan,

its great to know that you are earning so much money from Apache ActiveMQ!

 I want the best experience for the end user of ActiveMQ - and that’s it - simple. Right
now that’s hawtio. The old web console is frankly  well beyond love - but I can understand
from a money making point of view you wouldn’t want to have hawtio as an option of end users.
Which is why moving it  to a sub-project will allow you and your colleagues  to work on it
- you’ll probably get even more money from your customers - or you could just save the hard
work - skin hawtio however you like (Johan’s Console) - and make a mint yay!

What ever happens in the community,  what ever console we use, if nobody uses hawtio ever
again, if folks went bananas and started using other OS solutions  -  I and my “Fuse”
(top 10 on [1]).  colleagues get payed the same. We don’t have an interest in this for financial
gain, let alone agree on what should happen - apart from the old web console is something
we don’t want to work on - but when you’ve been fixing crappy bugs in for a while [1]
- you may feel the same way.

When you get a salary/bonus/shares regardless  - it enables you to make decisions that’s
best for the users - I don’t think that anyone else  (your colleagues or partner companies)
who want so desperately to keep the old console, have the same objectivity.

Just so its all  out there - hawtio is open source, is AS2 licence - and the community is
diverse. More than one large company uses it directly in their products.  Where hawtio lives,
what direction it takes is entirely down to the hawtio community -  my employer - Red Hat
really doesn’t care - hawtio isn’t at the ASF for other reasons.

[1] https://www.ohloh.net/p/activemq/contributors?query=&sort=commits

Rob Davies
————————
Red Hat, Inc