activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Create an ActiveMQ Web Console sub-project
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:19:48 GMT
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Robert Davies <rajdavies@gmail.com> wrote:

> The recent poll [1] and discussions [2] around what to do with the current ActiveMQ web
console demonstrated there’s a mix bag of views. There are developers who passionately believe
that the current Web Console is a large technical debt on the project, hasn’t been actively
developed for years and is a security risk - whilst others believe it benefits users immensely
to have such a web console available.

> What I would like to propose is that the Web Console is moved to a sub project of ActiveMQ
- where those interested in maintaining and developing it can work independently of the ActiveMQ
broker release. Ideally there would be collaboration - so that the Web console could be released
in the same time frame as every new minor and major release of the broker. However, having
it as a sub project will also allow for it to be released independently - so that if folks
want to iterate releases of the web console whilst they improve it or to fix issues as they
arise they can. It also has the benefit of freeing up ActiveMQ developers who want to concentrate
on the core broker functionality.

Yeah a good idea to move into a sub project, which I also said on the
other threads on @dev recently.

ActiveMQ has other sub projects for other things like the adapters for
C/C# and the likes.
And other ASF projects has sub projects for their web consoles such as
Karaf/Felix.
And other ASF projects include web consoles from other ASF projects /
sub projects in their distribution such as SMX/Karaf.

And as you say it allows the web console to be released independently
from AMQ, which allows to release it with bug fixes, new features and
improvements and whatnot. As well supporting multiple versions of AMQ.
And more importantly it allows end users to keep the same broker
version but upgrade their web console. Which is a huge win, as
upgrading the broker is much much more complicated / time effort, than
just a optional web console for the UI.

The ActiveMQ project can then include the released web console in its
distribution. This is how other ASF projects also do it.

> This is a compromise, but I believe its the best way forward. What do you guys think
?

> thanks,
>
> Rob
>
> [1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@activemq.apache.org/msg37711.html