activemq-dev mailing list archives

From artnaseef <...@artnaseef.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 23:17:50 GMT
Hey James - there's a valuable lesson here.

In order to institute change in a community, it's wise to engage the
community early and get buy-in.  Coming after the fact with a change puts
it in a can't-look-good situation.  No matter what, such motives will be
questioned - that's natural.  Wouldn't you be upset if another group came
up with a patch/git-pull that completely replaces the existing webconsole
and integrates their own console that's not part of the activemq sources?
Be careful how you answer - you don't want to open certain doors.

Anyway, there are a lot of talented people working on Apache, ActiveMQ, at
RedHat, and so on.  I'm sure this group could find ways to meet everyone's
needs.  The real question is just the way its done, impacts to the
community, strength of projects, and other impacts.  In fact, what I call
the "first rule of leadership" was violated -- "no involvement, no
commitment".  In other words, the outcome of this effort was doomed from
the start.

By the way, I believe Hawt.io is still a useful console for ActiveMQ,
whether it's bundled or not.

That brings this back to -- what is the real issue here?  And, can we find
a way to move forward together?

Take action. Accept it.  Or leave it.  All else is madness (paraphrasing
Ekhart Tolle).  Note that name calling, criticism, pointing blame,
messages of despair, etc are all in the "all else" category.  The funny
thing is that the madness belongs to, and hurts, the owner of said
actions, although they are painful for others to watch.  Ever see someone
walking down the street muttering to themselves and feel awkward....  same
thing.

If you are "accepting it", then "yes" we can all move on.