activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 21:23:28 GMT
I’m not a member of the hawtio community - but they were pretty clear they didn’t feel
the ASF was the best place to innovate and develop a UI.

On 30 Jan 2014, at 20:54, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rob, not sure what question you answered, but again, what were the reasons to develop
hawt.io outside the ASF that you alluded to?

> Hadrian
>

> On 01/30/2014 03:40 PM, Robert Davies wrote:
>> Red Hat employees thousands of open source developers, who in turn develop on hundreds
of projects. Developers are encouraged to go and explore new stuff. New projects can form
anywhere under loose guidelines (e.g. GitHub, Eclipse, Apache, JBoss community are fine -
its really is up to that community). Red Hat is a pretty unique company, with a very unique
open culture. They have one rule for their products - they have to be completely open source.
In that environment, it would be surprising if developers weren’t encouraged to innovate
new things.

>> On 30 Jan 2014, at 18:53, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Since you made this claim, can you please explain what the reasons are? Hopefully
it will clarify the misunderstanding. Personally I find it very hard to understand how a company
that invests in something would not care what the outcome is.

>>> Cheers,
>>> Hadrian

community -  my employer - Red Hat really doesn’t care - hawtio isn’t at the ASF for other
reasons.

>> Rob Davies
>> ————————
>> Red Hat, Inc