activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove the old ActiveMQ Console
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:32:07 GMT
This discussion has been open a while - not exactly consensus but then there’s not really
much difference either. There does seem to be general consensus amongst the poor folks who
actually maintain the old console (me included) it should die quickly, but I think we should
keep it around optionally for those users who can’t use anything else?.
We have to get this resolved quickly - so I’ll start a vote and hope to gain some consensus,
at least within the PMC.

thanks,

Rob
On 16 Jan 2014, at 22:21, Gary Tully <gary.tully@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the web-console should die, letting it rot in a subproject
> will not make it more secure,usable nor maintainable.
>
> Then we either -
> 1) skin hawtio with an Apache ActiveMQ brand and continue to ship it
> 2) document the extension points for third party consoles.
>
> I think dropping needs to be contingent on either 1 or 2.
>
> Imho, hawtio does it right with the jolokia jmx/http bridge and has
> some nice extension points so I am in favour of 1
>
> On 2 January 2014 09:59, Robert Davies <rajdavies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The old/original console is no longer fit for purpose, it is hard to maintain, the
source of a lot of security issues [1] over the last few years.

>> There is another thread about using hawtio as the console going forward, and without
going into all the gory details it is probably likely that there may be no web console shipped
at all in future releases of ActiveMQ. The JMX naming hierarchy was improved for ActiveMQ
5.8, such that its easy to view the running status of an ActiveMQ broker from 3rd party tools
such as jconsole, visualvm or hawtio. Regardless of the outcome of the other discussion [2]
- It doesn’t help the ActiveMQ project to try and maintain a static web console any more.

>> I propose we remove the old web console from the ActiveMQ 5.10 release - thoughts
?

>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-2714?jql=project%20%3D%20AMQ%20AND%20text%20~%20%22XSS%22
>> [2] http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Default-Web-Console-td4675705.html
>>
>> Rob Davies