activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Default Web Console
Date Mon, 23 Dec 2013 10:32:32 GMT
Hi Dan,

It is possible to brand hawtio [1] - Red Hat used a branded version for JBoss A-MQ. Though
I doubt we could ever meet the full requirements  for branding and control that was outlined
on the Camel dev list [2] - hence its probably easier to just remove it. I’m sure the hawtio
folks (I’m not a committer on that project) could help guide you in how to add a better
support for CXF - their goal is to get hawtio used by as many people as possible.

[1] https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues/666
[2] http://www.opendevs.org/kpqms/git-commit-camel-7023-added-hawtio-goal-to-camel-maven-plugin.html

Rob

On 20 Dec 2013, at 17:42, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2013, at 12:42 PM, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> but if folks are worried about having a console from a different open
>> source project inside ActiveMQ we can easily rip it out; it was only added
>> to try give users a better experience of using ActiveMQ (particularly as
>> the old-not-really-maintained console sucks ass & is huge).
>
> Ripping it out is certainly one option.  Probably not the one I would advocate, but I’m
not on the PMC here (not even a committer) nor on hawt.io and really don’t have a say.

> Personally, I’d like to see a hawt.io (or other) based console here that would make
ActiveMQ a bit more approachable.   ActiveMQ is fairly complex and not having at least some
basic console or something that the users can use to see what is going on could  potentially
make the “support” burden here even higher.   However, as Chris stated, if there is going
to be something here, it would have to meet Apache’s requirements.   Dropping hawt.io directly
in obviously does not.    I don’t know enough (well, anything) about hawt.io’s architecture
or internals or anything to know how easy/hard it would be to have a console here built on
top of hawt.io, but fully branded and and controlled and such per Apache and with the ActiveMQ
“plugin” or whatever provide here.   There are a lot of very smart people that are part
of hawt.io’s development so I assume there is some level of plug ability and such there,
but I could be completely wrong.   (on a side note, having something outside of hawt.io that
could showcase HOW to add a “plugin” to hawt.io would be very useful as an example to
other projects that would like to use hawt.io or add functionality to hawt.io.  I’m actually
thinking CXF as CXF has a bunch of things like security caches and thread pools and such that
would be cool to provide better admin capabilities.)

> As I said, I’d strongly prefer (for admittedly selfish reasons) having at least some
basic console provided here.   Many users use the web console (evidenced by questions about
it just today on the karaf list) and I know many of our (Talend’s) customers use it.  Maybe
if we could create some JIRA’s of some of the deficiencies in the existing console, that
could be something people could jump in and help out with.   Right now, I just see 3 open
issues for the console (one logged today):

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AMQ%20AND%20component%20%3D%20webconsole%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open
>
> Could we possibly get some basic ideas logged there?   Are there bits of information
that are missing that would be relatively easy to add?