activemq-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Matthew Western (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] [Created] (AMQCPP-525) C++ client hangs when using the failover transport to connect to a network of brokers
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2013 23:32:35 GMT
Matthew Western created AMQCPP-525:

             Summary: C++ client hangs when using the failover transport to connect to a network
of brokers
                 Key: AMQCPP-525
             Project: ActiveMQ C++ Client
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: Openwire
    Affects Versions: 3.8.1
         Environment: Centos 5.9, Active MQ C++ Test Listener
            Reporter: Matthew Western
            Assignee: Timothy Bish
             Fix For: 3.8.2

I have a network of three brokers on three different hosts each with nio transport connectors
as follows (host 1 below, hosts 2 and 3 follow the same pattern):

<transportConnector name="openwire-client"

I modified the ActiveMQ C++ example Listener (Listener.cpp) with the following broker URL:


The Listener hangs in connection->start() and never establishes a connection with any of
the three brokers.

I put debug into FailoverTransport.cpp  and discovered that the URIs received form the three
brokers are being used verbatim by the C++ client - i.e. it tries to rebalance/reconnect using
the nio scheme in the URIs received from the broker transport connector configuration.

The C++ client has no handling for the nio scheme and so continually iterates though the URI
pool but never establishes a connection to any of the URIs, hence the hang.

According to the ActiveMQ website "Configuring Transports" documentation if the nio transport
is specified in a URI used by an OpenWire client, it should simply instantiate the normal
tcp transport, but this handling seems to be missing from the C++ client.

I put a quick fix into the FailoverTransport::updateURIs() method to convert any URI received
from a broker with a scheme of "nio" to the same URI but with a scheme of "tcp" and then the
client successfully connected to one of the brokers:

            Pointer<Iterator<URI> > setIter(set.iterator());
            while (setIter->hasNext()) {
                URI value = setIter->next();
                if (value.getScheme() == "nio") {
                    std::cout << "Found NIO scheme, changing to TCP" << std::endl;
                    URI newValue = URI("tcp", value.getAuthority(),
                        value.getPath(), value.getQuery(), value.getFragment());
                   value = newValue;

This is obviously not an appropriate solution for the production code, but it does serve to
demonstrate the issue.

This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA

View raw message