activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <>
Subject [ISSUE] - bin/activemq.bat for Windows users
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:21:40 GMT

I was looking at ticket

I wonder why starting ActiveMQ on windows and unix is different, according to

On windows we tell users to do

And on unix
   bin/activemq start

eg on unix you pass in the start command.

I would prefer that on Windows you should pass on the command as well such as
   bin\activemq start

Otherwise you cannot get the help syntax by just using bin/activemq

Usage: Main [--extdir <dir>] [task] [task-options] [task data]

    browse                   - Display selected messages in a
specified destination.
    bstat                    - Performs a predefined query that
displays useful statistics regarding the specified broker
    create                   - Creates a runnable broker instance in
the specified path.
    decrypt                  - Decrypts given text
    dstat                    - Performs a predefined query that
displays useful tabular statistics regarding the specified destination
    encrypt                  - Encrypts given text
    export                   - Exports a stopped brokers data files to
an archive file
    list                     - Lists all available brokers in the
specified JMX context
    purge                    - Delete selected destination's messages
that matches the message selector
    query                    - Display selected broker component's
attributes and statistics.
    start                    - Creates and starts a broker using a
configuration file, or a broker URI.
    stop                     - Stops a running broker specified by the
broker name.

So I would if we should change this for Windows in the activemq.bat
file, to not have the "start" command in there. So its consistent with

And also fixes AMQ-3101

Anyone know any reason about the "start" in the bin/activemq.bat file?

Claus Ibsen
Red Hat, Inc.
Twitter: davsclaus
Author of Camel in Action: