activemq-dev mailing list archives

From AlpacaSteve <steve.adam...@ventyx.com>
Subject AMQ data corruption on 5.5.1
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 19:17:09 GMT
ActiveMQ 5.5.1 Fuse using the KahaPersistenceAdapter

Short version:
A machine running AMQ with messages in flight hit an OS error and stopped.
When the machine was restarted, AMQ would not start and was not showing any
errors in the log file. The activemq-data directory was backed up and
removed from the system. AMQ started and as expected all persisted messages
were lost.

I've been trying to recover the lost messages and through some trial and
error I have narrowed the problem down to the index-queue-data file. If the
suspected corrupted version of the file is present, AMQ will not start. Once
it is removed AMQ starts but all data is lost.

Questions:
1. Is there any way to recover the messages in the system at the time of the
crash.
2. Is there any way to prevent this from happening without changing
persistence adapters or AMQ versions

We have clients in the field using this and are unable to change AMQ
versions or the persistence adapters in the immediate future. If the best
solution requires one of these, we will still need to document a recovery
process that doesn't involve message loss to hold our clients over until
such a change can be implemented.

Thanks for your help with this!
-Steve