activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Anstey <jans...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Combine windows and unix distros
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:56:56 GMT
Right now, the zip and tar.gz distros contain different scripts and libs
depending on the platform:

[janstey@bender tmp]$ diff -w -r apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip
apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: activemq-admin.bat
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: activemq.bat
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: diag
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: linux-x86-32
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: linux-x86-64
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: macosx
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: win32
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: win64

I'm proposing having a single ActiveMQ packaging script that produces a zip
and tar.gz with the same contents. Other Apache projects do this already:
CXF, Maven, ... So, we'd essentially be testing the same kit on all
platforms, which makes things simpler I think.

Opened a ticket here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-4414 and
also a pull request so folks could try it out if they want.

https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/2

One noticeable thing missing in this scheme are Windows line endings on
shared things like properties files and config, but I think we can live
with that. Hopefully most Windows devs have better text editors than
notepad :-)

--
Cheers,
Jon