activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Anstey <>
Subject [DISCUSS] Combine windows and unix distros
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:56:56 GMT
Right now, the zip and tar.gz distros contain different scripts and libs
depending on the platform:

[janstey@bender tmp]$ diff -w -r apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: activemq-admin.bat
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: activemq.bat
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: diag
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: linux-x86-32
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: linux-x86-64
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: macosx
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: win32
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: win64

I'm proposing having a single ActiveMQ packaging script that produces a zip
and tar.gz with the same contents. Other Apache projects do this already:
CXF, Maven, ... So, we'd essentially be testing the same kit on all
platforms, which makes things simpler I think.

Opened a ticket here and
also a pull request so folks could try it out if they want.

One noticeable thing missing in this scheme are Windows line endings on
shared things like properties files and config, but I think we can live
with that. Hopefully most Windows devs have better text editors than
notepad :-)

Red Hat, Inc.
Twitter: jon_anstey
Author of Camel in Action: