activemq-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Nicholas Rahn (Created) (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Created] (AMQ-3557) Performance of consumption with JDBC persistance and Microsoft SQL Server
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:50:32 GMT
Performance of consumption with JDBC persistance and Microsoft SQL Server
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

                 Key: AMQ-3557
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-3557
             Project: ActiveMQ
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: Message Store, Performance Test
    Affects Versions: 5.5.1, 5.5.0, 5.4.3
         Environment: Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Debian Linux, 
            Reporter: Nicholas Rahn


We are trying to upgrade our ActiveMQ installation and have run into some performance issues.
I'll attached our activemq.xml file to this bug.

I've setup a fresh SQLServer database for our upgrade tests and using the example Ant tools
in the distribution, I've populated a persistent queue with 1,000,000 messages. I then consume
those messages using the example Ant consumption script. The producing side works fine. However
the performance of the consumption side is extremely poor. To consume just 10,000 of those
messages takes over 5 minutes.

The consumer will pause for 4-5 seconds every 200 messages. This is easily visible in the
output of the Ant script. We have also traced the DB to see what is happening there and have
found that the findNextMessagesStatement takes 4-5 seconds every time it is executed. The
statement's ID parameter is increased by 200 every time it is executed.  We also noticed the
use of the "SET ROWCOUNT 10000" statement setting the maximum number of rows returned from
a query at 10000. We also traced previous versions of ActiveMQ and found that SET ROWCOUNT
was used much more often, with much smaller values (often 10, 20 or 30).

We have also tested the same setup with version 5.4.0 and did not have the same issues. Consumption
speeds with 5.4.0 were normal, with no pauses. Version 5.4.3 did have the problem, however.
So there seems to be a regression somewhere between 5.4.0 and 5.4.3 (also affects 5.5.0 and
later).

Please let me know if you need more information, including the database traces.


--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ContactAdministrators!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

Mime
View raw message