activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apollo 1.0 Beta 1 (2nd Attempt)
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 15:54:54 GMT
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Hiram Chirino <hiram@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> Yeah I guess the gettings started guide is complicated by a couple of
> extra steps.
>
> I think once we implement:
> Which is dejan's suggestion, it should become more streamlined.
>
> We could also remove the BDB part, but I'd hesitate to do that because
> the BDB store implementation does provide a much smoother performance
> characteristic than the included JDBM.  And one of the first thing
> folks are going to want to do with a new broker is see how it
> performs.
>
> I don't really care if it's called beta or alpha.  The reason I picked
> beta is because I don't see us putting any more major features into
> the release.  It just needs go through a couple QA cycles to clean out
> bugs / streamline the user experience.

Agreed, and we should elaborate on those suggested changes so that so
that we are leading folks down a path to success. My advice is that we
provide a series of guides:

1) A 'Getting Started With Apollo in 10 Minutes' guide. This guide
serves as the first time user's guide to getting started with Apollo.
It's basically a smoke test for Apollo in your environment.

2) A 'How to Make Apollo Screaming Fast in 10 More Minutes' guide.
This guide is focused on improving Apollo's speed. It provides
suggestions on which items to change, how to change them and the
expected benefits of making such changes.

3) A 'Diving Deeper With Apollo' guide. This gives people a
thinking-in-Apollo mindset, provides a high level diagram of the
internals, explains extension points, areas to extend, etc.

We need to provide some dead simple steps to getting started as well
as taking the next steps to dive deeper in . Without this, the
experience winds up being a needle-in-a-haystack chase for new users,
even if they have already used ActiveMQ. I'd really like to see many
different guides get created over time, each with a different focus
(e.g., different app quality of service requirements, different
business areas, different broker environments, etc.).

Again, I'm very willing to begin working on this stuff. As I dig into
Apollo to learn what it's all about, I can begin to create these
guides on the wiki with the intention that they live and change as
appropriate. These are only some initial suggestions.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder