activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AMQP client library collaboration
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:18:27 GMT
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Marnie McCormack
<marnie.mccormack@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
> Sounds a really interesting idea, and potentially a good combination of
> product/knowledge and people for a core AMQP 1.0 implementation.
>
> Can I ask why not use the ASF as we do for contribution to the Qpid/ActiveMQ
> code base now, is there a reason why people won't want to contribute the
> code to the ASF ?
>
> If we're not using the ASF, then it'd be best to agree the license that the
> code'll be under right from the start I think ?

Since the ASF doesn't provide infrastructure yet for generic project
hosting, we would need to host the project either under the ActiveMQ
project or the Qpid project and that's not really appropriate for
something that is meant to be completely separate from those two.
Also, we want to encourage non-ASF folks to participate more easily.
This is what lead Rafi and I just loosely agree that Github would be
more appropriate (especially git makes it so easy to contribute and
fork). But the lack of a project mailing list is one problem with
Github. But as Hiram pointed out in his reply, perhaps Github + Google
Groups = the correct combination.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/