activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <>
Subject Re: AMQP client library collaboration
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:08:07 GMT
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Robert Godfrey <> wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
> as great to meet you at the AMQP event, pity you couldn't stay longer!

Hi Rob, it was great to meet you as well! I had no idea that the event
was three days, otherwise I would have made plans to stay :-(. Next

> As discussed yesterday, I am really *really* interested in this - Rafi
> and I have been discussing something like this for a while, and would
> be fantastic to have you guys (and anyone else who is interested) on
> board as well.
> If we can't find anything else suitable, we may be able to set up some
> mailing lists for development communities for AMQP 1-0 in general - I
> can bring this up at the conference today... Would be good to have a
> space where people who are interested in AMQP 1-0 can talk to each
> other and find common interests so people don't unnecessarily
> duplicate work.
> Having the lists / work hosted somewhere "independent" rather than by
> any of the existing "vendors" of AMQP technology would be preferable

Agreed. Rafi and I both agreed that this needs to be vendor independent.

My analogy for this effort is the Apache Commons HTTP Client. Many
projects and products use the HTTP Client on top of which to build
their own apps and clients for HTTP. This effort would be similar to
that -- it will create a plain old client for AMQP 1.0. Rafi and I
both agreed that this effort should be independent of any vendor and
owned by the community.

I do anticipate that we may receive contributions from the numerous
implementations for the various spec versions that are already out
there. So we will need to deal with this to determine the best option
for the entire group. If we receive too many contributions we may just
need to sidestep the whole debate about which one to use and simply
create something from scratch by borrowing ideas from the

> PS Just seen Rajith's mail suggesting google as a possible site to
> host the work - that would work for me.

Agreed, I think Google Code would be the best place because it
provides everything we need. That way we could just reference the
project from the AMQP website.

ActiveMQ in Action:

View raw message