activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bitla <srinivas.bi...@gmail.com>
Subject prefetchPolicy with Spring JMS
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 23:55:47 GMT

Hello,

We are using ActiveMQ 5.2 in our application and we are facing a weird Queue
stuck problem in production for some time. When this problem occurs ActiveMQ
will not deliver messages to consumers (to say in other words consumers are
not receiving messages) and messages pile up in ActiveMQ. The problem occurs
few times a week, but we don't understand what is causing the problem. It
suddenly occurs after a day or two and only workaround is to bounce the
server, that will resolve the issue, but this is not an ideal solution in
production.

After some research, I am thinking the problem may be related to
prefetchPolicy. We are using a prefetchPolicy of zero. ActiveMQ website says
I have to use 1 with Spring JMS, but it doesn't say anything about why? Can
someone help me understand why prefetchPolicy has to be set to 1 when using
ActiveMQ with Spring JMS? What kind of problems occur if prefetchPolicy is
set to 0 with Spring JMS?

If the above Queue stuck behavior is not related to prefetchPolicy, then
what could be causing it? Please let me know if more information is needed,
I am glad to provide.

Thanks in advance,
Srinivas