activemq-dev mailing list archives

From pmmerritt1 <>
Subject ActiveMQ JMSPriority (AMQ-122)
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:26:40 GMT

We had a need to use priority based queuing on a project I am working on and
do not have enough time to wait on 6.0.0 to come out which is what AMQ-122
states as the release date, so I took a stab at implementing it. Since I am
not too familiar with ActiveMQ I was hoping that one of the developers may
be able to pick it up and incorporate into a 5.3 release if at all possible.
I ran the unit tests and they seem to run with the exception of issues with
the SSL but I do not believe that is related to the changes I made.

Here is the summary of the changes, all source files are attached:
1) Created class PriorityMessageDispatchChannel which replaced
2) Updated and in
order to instantiate the PriorityMessageDispatchChannel instead of the the
MessageDispatchChannel. This would be best done at runtime based upon a
configuration option such as supportsJMSPriority, however I did not want to
make that significant of a change until I could figure out the feasibility
of getting it incorporated into ActiveMQ.
3) Updated and to only set the
message priority to the defaultPriority if it wasn't set on the Message.
4) Added a unit test

I have attached all of the source files to this post, please let me know if
it is possible to get this into a release and if so if I can do anything to
help make that happen.

Phillip Merritt