activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not able to connect to ActiveMQ running on EC2 Instance remotely
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:52:48 GMT
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Justin Hoang <damhoang@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to connect to my ActiveMQ running on EC2 Instance remotely and
> not able to.
>
> I have opened TCP port for 8161 and 61616 for ActiveMQ on my Instance
> Security Group.
> I am not able to access the ActiveMQ admin console for this instance
> remotely neither.
>
> I wonder if any one ran into similar problem with EC2.  Any advice or
> suggestion is greatly appreciated.

1) Use netstat from the EC2 side to see if ActiveMQ did indeed open a
port. Below is an example:

$ netstat -an | grep 61616
tcp4       0      0  *.61616                *.*                    LISTEN

2) If the port is open, you should be able to telnet to it and see
something like the following:

$ telnet localhost 61616
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
ÙActiveMQTightEncodingEnabled
CacheSizeTcpNoDelayEnabledSizePrefixDisabledStackTraceEnabled
MaxInactivityDurationInitalDelay'MaxInactivityDurationu0

        CacheEnabled

This tells you that it is accepting connections from inside the EC2
instance. The next step is to test this port from outside the EC2
instance. Can you telnet to the the EC2 public IP address and port
61616? If so, what kind of response do you receive?

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder