activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Creation of an activemq-client.jar artifact
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:01:48 GMT
In the past, folks have asked me about an ActiveMQ client jar file.
Something that's lighter weight and immediately identifiable as the
artifact to be used from the client side instead of poking around
trying to figure out which jars to use. Today, someone asked me about
this very thing again, so I'd like to discuss the idea. IMO, if it
helps users, then it's worth doing.

Assuming that we agree to create such a jar file, I see two ways to do it:

1) Manually hack together an activemq-client.jar using a Maven
assembly. I've done this in the past on other projects and it's
usually terribly brittle and error-prone.

2) Create a new module named activemq-client and begin moving classes
out of activemq-core into the new module. This would mean that the
activemq-core module would have a dependency on the activemq-client,
but that's minor. In fact, improved modularization will only improve
the codebase. If you've ever looked at the ActivMQ codebase in
Structure101 you know badly tangled it is.

Thoughts?

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/