activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin MacNaughton" <colin.macnaugh...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Creation of an activemq-client.jar artifact
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:36:51 GMT
Hi Bruce,

I too would like there to be an activemq-client.jar, but it looks like a
large enough effort to hold off on until 6.0 where we might be able to do
some of the refactoring you mention in option 2.

Colin

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Snyder [mailto:bruce.snyder@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:02 PM
To: dev@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Creation of an activemq-client.jar artifact

In the past, folks have asked me about an ActiveMQ client jar file.
Something that's lighter weight and immediately identifiable as the
artifact to be used from the client side instead of poking around
trying to figure out which jars to use. Today, someone asked me about
this very thing again, so I'd like to discuss the idea. IMO, if it
helps users, then it's worth doing.

Assuming that we agree to create such a jar file, I see two ways to do it:

1) Manually hack together an activemq-client.jar using a Maven
assembly. I've done this in the past on other projects and it's
usually terribly brittle and error-prone.

2) Create a new module named activemq-client and begin moving classes
out of activemq-core into the new module. This would mean that the
activemq-core module would have a dependency on the activemq-client,
but that's minor. In fact, improved modularization will only improve
the codebase. If you've ever looked at the ActivMQ codebase in
Structure101 you know badly tangled it is.

Thoughts?

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print