activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why UseDedicatedTaskRunner is true by default?
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 19:32:21 GMT
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Aleksi Kallio <aleksi.kallio@csc.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Aleksi Kallio wrote:
>>
>> Because of the excessive thread creation, using dedicated TaskRunners was
>> also slower. If they are preferred, shouldn't temporary topics (and
>> queues) be handled in a more lighweight manner?
>>

> My question did not arouse much interest, so I'll have a second go: Is
> creating a lot of temporary topics (resulting in a lots of threads at the
> broker) against the general design philosophy of JMS or ActiveMQ? In other
> words, are we doing something stupid or is it just that the default value of
> UseDedicatedTaskRunner is a bit counterintuitive?

Most times that I've helped someone to scale ActiveMQ, I've
recommended that the UseDedicatedTaskRunner property be set to false
in the startup script. The reason for this is that it will reduce the
number of threads that are created by the broker and therefore use
less memory. IMO, this option should probably be set to false, but I
also believe in making the default configuration more production ready
rather than full of examples.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/