activemq-dev mailing list archives

From <srinivas.ram...@wipro.com>
Subject ActiveMQ for Embedded systems - Memory constrants
Date Sat, 02 May 2009 09:22:32 GMT
Hi All,

We are building an embedded product with java platform. We are planning
to use ActiveMQ for messaging within java and between java and native
(using ActiveMQ-CPP).

I have gone through the FAQ, release notes, docs etc. I even installed
and ActiveMQ to just try it. But my below questions are still not
answered.

1. Since ours is an embedded product, we want a lightweight messaging
service. We just need basic async messaging. ActiveMQ seems good with
broker architecture. But is it suited for embedded system products with
limited memory?
2. Since I don't want features like persistence, security(since we
operate within the system) and probably many more.
3. Is there a way that I remove these JARs without any problem and still
use core activeMQ features?
4. I saw required and optional JARs listed in the configuration, but
couldn't find what are the dependencies and how I can remove it.
5. we felt ActiveMQ to be good since we have a servlet engine, browser
also in our product.
6. what is the least possible size of ActiveMQ? How do I strip it?
7. I also saw ActiveMQ taking a run time memory of around 40-50MB which
is huge for us. Anyway to limit this. Hopefully, If I am able to strip
activeMQ to the lowest possible size, runtime memory should be low since
memory required for loading will be less.
8. ActiveMQ-CPP shared library is around 30 - 40 MB with dependencies
like cppunit, uuid, librt etc. I want to strip this component also to
reduce memory requirements. I did not see any information about such
configuration for ActiveMQ-CPP.

It will be really great if you can help me on this. If required, please
redirect me to any links where I can find answers.
Thanks in advance.

Note: I am not sure if this question should be addressed to the user
list. Please let me know if it is so. I have tried sending mail to this
list without subscribing. But, it's not posted and I couldn't find it in
archive. I believe I need to subscribe before posting. I am subscribed
to this list now.

Thanks & Regards,
-- Srinivas R

of this message and any attachments.