activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksi Kallio <aleksi.kal...@csc.fi>
Subject Why UseDedicatedTaskRunner is true by default?
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 09:28:01 GMT

Hello,

We have had problems with too many threads killing the broker. They were
solved by setting UseDedicatedTaskRunner to false.

The reason was that we are using a lot of temporary topics. TemporaryTopic
is a Destination, and broker creates a TaskRunner thread for each of them.

To me this seems quite counterintuitive, because TemporaryTopic (obtained
from Message.getJMSReplyTo) is something that you can use and throw away
without much thought. It is surprising that by default they block a thread
on the broker, i.e., reserve quite a heavy resource.

Because of the excessive thread creation, using dedicated TaskRunners was
also slower. If they are preferred, shouldn't temporary topics (and queues)
be handled in a more lighweight manner?

Cheers,
Aleksi