activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ for Embedded systems - Memory constrants
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 13:12:34 GMT
On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 14:52 +0530, srinivas.ramana@wipro.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are building an embedded product with java platform. We are planning
> to use ActiveMQ for messaging within java and between java and native
> (using ActiveMQ-CPP).
>
> I have gone through the FAQ, release notes, docs etc. I even installed
> and ActiveMQ to just try it. But my below questions are still not
> answered.
>
> 1. Since ours is an embedded product, we want a lightweight messaging
> service. We just need basic async messaging. ActiveMQ seems good with
> broker architecture. But is it suited for embedded system products with
> limited memory?
> 2. Since I don't want features like persistence, security(since we
> operate within the system) and probably many more.
> 3. Is there a way that I remove these JARs without any problem and still
> use core activeMQ features?
> 4. I saw required and optional JARs listed in the configuration, but
> couldn't find what are the dependencies and how I can remove it.
> 5. we felt ActiveMQ to be good since we have a servlet engine, browser
> also in our product.
> 6. what is the least possible size of ActiveMQ? How do I strip it?
> 7. I also saw ActiveMQ taking a run time memory of around 40-50MB which
> is huge for us. Anyway to limit this. Hopefully, If I am able to strip
> activeMQ to the lowest possible size, runtime memory should be low since
> memory required for loading will be less.
> 8. ActiveMQ-CPP shared library is around 30 - 40 MB with dependencies
> like cppunit, uuid, librt etc. I want to strip this component also to
> reduce memory requirements. I did not see any information about such
> configuration for ActiveMQ-CPP.

The AMQCPP shared library isn't dependent on CPPUnit, only the test
binaries are.  You can easy strip all debug symbols out of the library
to reduce its size, this removes any chance of knowing where a crash
occurs though, so use with caution.  To strip the library just run

strip --strip-unneeded libactivemq-cpp.so

> It will be really great if you can help me on this. If required, please
> redirect me to any links where I can find answers.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Note: I am not sure if this question should be addressed to the user
> list. Please let me know if it is so. I have tried sending mail to this
> list without subscribing. But, it's not posted and I couldn't find it in
> archive. I believe I need to subscribe before posting. I am subscribed
> to this list now.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> -- Srinivas R

of this message and any attachments.