activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Harvin <harvin...@connamara.com>
Subject Way to know if a Consumer does not exist anymore
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:34:22 GMT

Hello,

I'm using Active MQ and have a scenario where I have a central data store
app that has been written to update clients connected to it when it recieves
an update.

The client connects to this data store app by opening a temporary queue. The
data store app stores all the queue information and uses this info to send
updates to the clients. In other words records a subscription.

When a client need to disconnect it sends the disconnect request to this
data store app and data store app removes all its queue information (removes
subscription for this client). So, no further updates are sent to this
client.

My issue is when the client crashes and it was unable to send the disconnect
request. In which case the data store app doesnt know if the client (
consumer ) doesn't exist anymore and keeps sending updates to it. After a
while the ActiveMQ gets blocked trying to send data to a consumer which does
not exist and since it had been sending messages ever since the crash of the
consumer, the queue is full and can no longer take messages. So the entire
framework halts!

Is there a way I can determine if the consumer doesnt exist anymore.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!