activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject New sandbox activemq-flow module
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:34:37 GMT
Hi,

Just wanted to let you know about a new activemq-flow little module
that I added to the ActiveMQ sandbox.  It's a little experiment in
trying to do more efficient flow control and thread handling in todays
multi-core world.  Its checked in at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/sandbox/activemq-flow

The 2 major bits of it are basically:
  1) an event based thread/dispatching model which tries to avoid
cross thread contention
  2) A flow control model where dispatching occurs across flow
controlled sinks and sources.

The flow control bits allow us to more easily implement things that
are missing in the current ActiveMQ like priority messaging and to do
better broker memory sizing based on connections to the broker.

Up to this point this has mostly been a collaborative experiment
between Colin Macnaughton (my highly esteemed coworker)  and myself,
but I think it's a good time open this out to the rest of the
community to see if anyone would be interested in helping out in this
little experiment.

Things that still need to get done are:
- clean up / consolidate some of the unused bits.  For example
SingleFlowPriorityQueue should get replaced with the
ExclusivePriorityQueue
- get the clustering working with the priority queues
- Update the mock test cases so it does real IO

I think once we get there, then we can start to do better apple to
apples comparisons to the existing broker architecture in terms of
performance, memory usage, and cpu usage.

--
Regards,
Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com