activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New sandbox activemq-flow module
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:41:49 GMT
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Hiram Chirino <hiram@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wanted to let you know about a new activemq-flow little module
> that I added to the ActiveMQ sandbox.  It's a little experiment in
> trying to do more efficient flow control and thread handling in todays
> multi-core world.  Its checked in at:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/sandbox/activemq-flow
>
> The 2 major bits of it are basically:
>  1) an event based thread/dispatching model which tries to avoid
> cross thread contention
>  2) A flow control model where dispatching occurs across flow
> controlled sinks and sources.
>
> The flow control bits allow us to more easily implement things that
> are missing in the current ActiveMQ like priority messaging and to do
> better broker memory sizing based on connections to the broker.
>
> Up to this point this has mostly been a collaborative experiment
> between Colin Macnaughton (my highly esteemed coworker)  and myself,
> but I think it's a good time open this out to the rest of the
> community to see if anyone would be interested in helping out in this
> little experiment.
>
> Things that still need to get done are:
> - clean up / consolidate some of the unused bits.  For example
> SingleFlowPriorityQueue should get replaced with the
> ExclusivePriorityQueue
> - get the clustering working with the priority queues
> - Update the mock test cases so it does real IO
>
> I think once we get there, then we can start to do better apple to
> apples comparisons to the existing broker architecture in terms of
> performance, memory usage, and cpu usage.

Just a couple of things that I noticed at a glance. There is
compilation dependency in the POM for an artifact named Colt that
doesn't appear to be used in any classes. Furthermore, Colt has no
explicit license and some of the packages Colt includes use the LGPL
license (http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt/license.html).

Also, the com/progress directories in src/main/java and src/test/java
need to be removed.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/