activemq-dev mailing list archives

From NNNZZZ <nz...@gettailgate.com>
Subject Re: javax.jms.JMSException: No original destination for message:
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:52:00 GMT

James.Strachan wrote:

> 2008/12/10 NNNZZZ <nzorn@gettailgate.com>:
>>
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I am trying to stop the consumers from listening without stopping them.
>>
>> To do so I am changing the message selector on the consumer (to 1 > 1).
>
> JMS and ActiveMQ don't support changing the selector in a client
> without stopping and starting the consumer.
>
> What are you actually trying to achieve? Maybe there's a better way to
> do what you're trying to do.
>
> I'd say either close the consumers; or inform the broker to suspend a
> consumer?
>
> --
> James
> -------
> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>
> Open Source Integration
> http://fusesource.com/

Hi there,

What I need is a way to 'drain-stop' the listeners, so NO new messages will
be received, but the process of messages that are already in process will be
completed without disruption. I also need an option to start it again so new
messages and pending message will be consumed as normal.

Changing the selector was just an attempt to achieve the above.

I am using spring.Net and i tried
Spring.Context.Support.ContextRegistry.Clear() and
SimpleMessageListenerContainer.Stop() but both methods caused failure for
messages that were already in process by the consumers (Thread aborted
method) - those methods just stopped the consumer completely.

About you suggestions:

I'd say either close the consumers; or inform the broker to suspend a
consumer?

I think closing the consumer will cause failure for messages that are
already in process. But maybe suspending the consumer by the broker will
sort it.

Would you be able to direct me of how that can be done?

I am using spring.Net, but to change the selector I tried changing the live
objects in JVM via MBeanServerConnection and JMXServiceURL.

Many thanks!