activemq-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "KC Baltz (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] Created: (AMQ-2041) Producer blocks, JMX Stats wrong/buggy
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:59:06 GMT
Producer blocks, JMX Stats wrong/buggy

                 Key: AMQ-2041
             Project: ActiveMQ
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: Broker
    Affects Versions: 5.2.0
         Environment: ActiveMQ 5.20 
Windows XP
Java 1.6.0_11
Resin 3.2.1
            Reporter: KC Baltz

I'm doing some loading testing and finding some bad behavior in ActiveMQ.  Symptoms include
the producer blocking and the JMX console displaying wild values like >100% for MemoryPercentUsage
and negative amounts for QueueSize.

I've got a simple Java class that sends Persistent messages to a Queue.  It's setup to "flood"
the server, sending 40,000 as fast as it can.  

I have an MDB running inside Resin 3.2.1 consuming these messages.   I'm new to using Resin
for this, so it may be contributing to the problem.  Also, it appears to create 5 instances
of the MDB all listening to the Queue. 


First, I fire up the message flooder to start filling the Queue.  Then, I fire up Resin and
the MDB starts consuming the messages.  The behavior I've seen is that when I restart Resin,
the MemoryPercentUsage jumps to 280% and the producer gets blocked.  The MDB is able to continue
consuming message, but the Producer never unblocks.  If I purge() the queue via the JMX console,
it will free up the memory, but then the queue size goes negative as the MDB continues to
consume hundreds of messages.

My  main concern is with the producer getting blocked and never unblocking.   

I'll attach a screenshot of the JMX console showing some of the symptoms

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

View raw message