activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KahaDB Protocol Buffers and the future of ActiveMQ
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:01:41 GMT
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Hiram Chirino <hiram@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've lately been working a new persistence store in the sandbox.  You
> guys can check it out at:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/sandbox/kahadb
>
> It's similar to the default AMQ store that is used by default today in
> ActiveMQ 5.x, except that it fixes several short commings that we have
> noticed in in the AMQ store.  This new store uses a transaction log,
> but indexes the messages using BTrees which stay consistent on
> restarts which means that store recovery times are very short even
> when there are many messages stored in the database. This work is
> approaching a stable point and I think that this should become the
> default message store for ActiveMQ 6.0.  We need to start beating on
> this to make sure it's rock solid.

Are there any docs about how to hook this into, say, an ActiveMQ trunk
build so we can start testing it now? I'd like to be able to configure
it via the activemq.xml so I can switch back and forth.

> While doing this bit of work, I decided to experiment with using
> Google protocol buffers to encode the transaction log records and it
> seems to have worked out well.  I think that we should
> research/evaluate using protocol buffer based default wire format for
> ActiveMQ.   In addition to being able to code generate marshallers for
> many languages, I think we may get some substantial performance
> improvements from using protocol buffers.  So I'm going to create a
> new branch in the sandbox to experiment with changing out the
> wireformat.  Hopefully, the performance gains do manifest themselves
> and we can work on merging those changes back to trunk.

Will the new store using Protocol Buffers be backwards compatible with
with previous releases?

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/