activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to intercept the creation of ActiveMQConnections?
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:17:55 GMT
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:54 AM, James Strachan
<james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/3 Gary Tully <gary.tully@gmail.com>:
>>> Though number of connections in no way reflects the cpu usage of a
>>> broker;
>>>
>> what are you thinking here?
>
> You could have 1000 connections doing very little, waiting for
> messages - but another broker could have one connection sending 5000
> messages/second.
>
> A single connection can use up the entire CPU on a broker; so am not
> sure there's much merrit on associating connection count to cpu usage.
> Though having a maximum allowed connection count is fine though

Yes, and that was my original intent - associating connections a
static limit and with a percentage of the broker's memory usage. As
this discussion about CPU usage unfolded, I thought I must have
completely overlooked a thread in the connection or something.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/