activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: tcp and nio transport considerations
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:55:40 GMT
hi Manuel,
I may not be understanding your theory completely, but if I do, I'd have
to disagree with parts of your assessment,

the problem you describe doesn't really have anything to do with
blocking vs non blocking IO. instead its the implementation on top of
the socket API.

taking a simple java program, you can read and write from blocking
sockets simultaneously.

so using NIO isn't really the answer, if there is blocking inside AMQ
based on a socket, then that has nothing to do with blocking or non
blocking IO.
The lock that is used when you call flush() shouldn't hinder the read,
and if it does, that's a bug in AMQ, rather than needing to switch to NIO.
(nothing wrong with NIO of course, just pointing out that the dead lock
you run into might be a bug in AMQ rather than a dependency on the
socket API)

The example below shows how simultaneous read and write is possible. We
are writing down 1MB byte array at a time, this should fill up the send
buffer
and I still can read data from the client when that happens.

        SServerSocket ss = new ServerSocket(9999);
        System.out.println("Listening on port 9999");
        final Socket s = ss.accept();
        Thread reader = new Thread() {
            public void run() {
                try {
                    int i = 0;
                    while (i != -1) {
                        i = s.getInputStream().read();
                        System.out.print( ( (char) i));
                    }
                }catch(Exception x) {
                    System.err.println("READER:"+x.getMessage());
                }
            }
        };
        Thread writer = new Thread() {
            public void run() {
                try {
                    int i = 65;
                    while (true) {
                        byte[] b = new byte[1024*1000];
                        Arrays.fill(b,(byte)i++);
                        System.out.println("Writing:"+((char)b[0]));
                        s.getOutputStream().write(b);
                        Thread.sleep(1000);
                    }
                }catch(Exception x) {
                    System.err.println("READER:"+x.getMessage());
                }
            }
        };
        reader.start();