activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Mohammad Reza Selim <seli...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Applications of ActiveMQ
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:24:26 GMT
Thanks Mario. That was helpful for me.

 Mohammad Reza Selim

----- Original Message ----
From: Mario Siegenthaler <msiegenthaler@inventsoft.ch>
To: dev@activemq.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:37:18 PM
Subject: Re: Applications of ActiveMQ

Hi

>>>We use it to deliver and distribute business events to the
>>>applications.
> So in this case you are using publish-subscribe model of ActiveMQ.
While it ends up being publish-subscribe it is implemented as
point-to-point on the broker side. See
http://activemq.apache.org/composite-destinations.html. We're
basically using that, but with some sugar (i.e. logging of messages
for legal reasons).

> What are the 'applications' used for, only to receive and process those events? If not
or if
> they are some commercial applications, could give some specific example?
Well, the business is tax calculation and collection (government)
including all aspects of that. The applications are systems around
that topic, i.e. a system is responsible for sending the invoices and
tracking the payments. Another example is a system that manages the
value of real estate, this value is then used by another system to
calculated to taxes for the real estate owner. The event with the
"person X has died" is actually one the does exist. If any system
learns about that fact it sends out this event. The other applications
then i.e. stop collecting taxes or reassign the real estate to the
heirs.
The event-receiver/sender components are mostly integrated into the
applications. Some are deployed as a separate deployment-entity, but
for a logical view the belong to the respective application.

>>>Other than that we also use ActiveMQ for all our asynchronous
>>>communications between applications (For the synchronous communication
>>>we do use (soap) web-service). This greatly helps the simplicity and
>>>reliability of our applications since i.e. a problem in an application
>>>does not lead to downtime in the other applications.
> So you are using here the point-to-point model of ActiveMQ, right. Again could you give
some more information
> and specific examples of 'applications'?
Yes, mostly the point-to-point.
Examples vary from application internal usage like triggering reloads
of data (i.e. parameters that are saved in a database) for all servers
running an application via publish-subscribe to actual interfaces
between applications:
Our dept collection system offers an interface for the collection of
depts that is based on multiple queues. The client-application sends
an XML-message containing the name and address of the debitor and the
amount (and some other relevant data) to the queue "collectDebt" and
the dept-collection application then starts the internal process
(sending bills and, in the bad case doing prosecution). Updates about
the status of the process are send as events (see above) to the
client-application as is the result of the collection process (i.e.
"the debitor has defaulted" or "he has paid").

Mario