activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Sridhar2008 <activ...@komandur.com>
Subject Cluster transport ...
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 00:27:18 GMT

Hi,

I'm working on a feature needed for our internal use for a  highly available
messaging bus service. Per James, I am capturing  a short description of our
needs. I would appreciate any feedback, for the larger activemq user
community usage ...

        +----B1 ---+
         |                |
  P---+---B2-----+---- C
         |                |
         +---B3-----+

We'd like producers/consumers to be  connected to multiple brokers
simultaneously for high availability - we have had  outages due to  single
broker failure and we also the desire seamless in/out of servicing brokers
as needed or based on jmx monitoring.  In addition, producers and consumers
will not be hardcoded with specific broker addresses. They will have the
broker cluster 'cname' which is resolved as  'service record' in the DNS ---
so we will also be contributing a new DNS based discovery module. This
facilitates dynamic addition/removal of brokers as needed for : capacity,
availability, etc. The producer will send to all the available brokers
(perhaps round robin) and consumers will accept from all the available
brokers.

This is the basic premise of the feature. This can be enhanced in various
ways. For example, to take a broker out of service, I plan on configuring
through the jmx, so the broker will stop accepting new messages, while the
consumers are draining existing messages. Once the messages are drained, it
will shut itself down. Another possible enhancement is to load balance
messages among the brokers.

Thanks,
Regards,
- Sridhar Komandur