activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Dejan Bosanac" <de...@nighttale.net>
Subject Re: Stomp, acking and prefetchSize
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:25:11 GMT
The client should send the DISCONNECT command to the broker and wait
> for the socket to get
> closed by the peer if we wants to ensure that all the previously
> transmitted commands are processed by the broker.

I think that's how it was tested (by I'm not sure at the moment). I'll give
it a bit more testing to see if maybe there is a bug on the client side.

> Yeah this is an known issue.  This might be the best reason to set the
> prefetch size down to 1.  Or just set it to 1 by default when using
> auto ack.  Even then it's going to auto ack as many messages as it can
> fit in the network buffers.  Robust STOMP clients are going to have to
> client ACK.

Cool. I'll document it for future reference.

>  - it's harder to make the client work in sync mode, since it has to
> >  discard (or buffer) a large number of messages before it find its
> >  receipt (which complicate presumably a simple library).
>
> sync mode?

When you are waiting for receipts...
For example, you subscribe to the queue that has 100 messages, read the
first message, send ack and try to get a receipt for it, but there is a lot
of messages to be read before your receipt gets its turn.

So far I think prefetchSize=1 would a good default when using auto
> ack.. I still don't see why a big prefetch would be a problem with
> client ack.

I've implemented easy way to set defaultPrefetch size in PHP client, so I
guess all we need is a piece of docs advising users on appropriate values
for specific use cases

Thanks
--
Dejan Bosanac