activemq-dev mailing list archives

From mqperson <>
Subject Thread Model, and Simultaneous Connections Scalability
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:18:29 GMT

In the web server world, most web servers fire off a new thread to process a
request, but a few, such as Jetty, for scalability, separate the couple of
requests and threads.

I need to know what does ActiveMQ do in this regard?  If a consumer is
connected listening on a queue, does it have a dedicated thread?  If so,
that seems like there would be something like one thread per subscriber.
Which would limit the number of simultaneous subscribers to perhaps a few

On the other hand, if ActiveMQ has a modest number of threads servicing a
LARGE number of open network connections (sockets / file descriptors) --
then it could easily scale to thousands of simultaneous subscribers if not

I feel like the nature of ActiveMQ would imply the latter.  However, my
brief search of ActiveMQ documentation did not yield a confirmation.

Could somebody please enlighten me or point me to a document?  Thanks in