activemq-dev mailing list archives

From David Sitsky <s...@nuix.com>
Subject Optimising PrefetchSubscription.dispatchPending() ideas
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:11:34 GMT
In my application, I have noticed with 20 consumers, the broker's CPU is
going through the roof, with many threads in
PrefetchSubscription.dispatchPending().  With my consumers, it might be
500-1000 messages dispatched before a commit() can be called.  With 20
consumers, this means there can be a build-up of 20,000 uncommited
messages lying around the system, let-alone the new messages which are
being pumped into the system at a furious rate.  Not nice I know, but I
don't have much choice about it at the moment, for application-specific
reasons.

As you can imagine, I can have some very big pending queue sizes -
sometimes 100,000 in size.

I am experimenting with different prefetch sizes which may help, but I
suspect every time a prefetch thread is trying to dispatch a message, it
might have to iterate through very large numbers of deleted messages or
messages which have been claimed by other subscribers before it finds a
matching message.  Multiply this by 20, and there is a lot of CPU being
consumed.  This worries me for scalability reasons - if I want to keep
bumping up the number of consumers.

I'm not sure what the best way of improving this is... is it possible
when we call dispatchPending() to not call pendingMessageCursor.reset()
perhaps?

I'm trying to understand why we need to reset the cursor, when
presumably all off the messages we have gone over before in a previous
dispatchPending() call are either deleted, dispatched or locked by
another node, and therefore don't need to be checked again (or we check
if we reach the end of the cursor list)?

I realise if a transaction is rolled back, that a message that was
previously locked by another consumer may be freed.  There are probably
message ordering isues too.

Is it possible when we are iterating through the cursor if we find a
node locked by another consumer to perhaps move it to the end of the
cursor (or another list) and check it only if we found no matches?

I'm sure there are a lot of complexities here I am not aware of - but I
am curious what others think.

Doing this sort of chance should reduce the latencies and CPU usage of
the broker significantly.

Cheers,
David