activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shutdown hook in ActiveMQ
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:11:29 GMT
On 09/10/2007, Bruce Snyder <bruce.snyder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/9/07, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You could always just disable the use of the shutdown handler on the
> > BrokerServer
> > http://activemq.apache.org/maven/activemq-core/apidocs/org/apache/activemq/broker/BrokerService.html#setUseShutdownHook(boolean)
> >
> > or  <broker> element
> > http://activemq.apache.org/maven/activemq-core/xsddoc/http___activemq.org_config_1.0/element/broker.html
>
> I don't think this is a good idea as it means that nothing gets
> cleanly unregistered and stopped.

Rob was talking about debugging; so I presumed the thread was about
using test cases and so forth; in which case, there's no need to use
the shutdown handler as the JUnit test case can stop the broker (and
typically JUnit terminates the JVM anyway on exit).

FWIW running the shutdown handler is gonna close things down cleaner
for sure - but given ActiveMQ has to handle boxes just dying at
runtime, things should still work without the shutdown handler (i.e.
no message loss or corruption of the database etc).

--
James
-------

Open Source SOA