activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: createTopic & createQueue behavior different than JMS A
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 01:43:34 GMT
On 10/10/07, eldictson <eldictson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It seems as though ActiveMQ implements these method calls differently from
> the JMS API.  Reading the API description I get the impression that, when
> using createTopic() or createQueue(),  the topics and queues should not
> actually be physically created for other JMS users to see but rather to
> create a topic object from a topic that has already been administratively
> created in the broker.  The way ActiveMQ implements the calls however, is

Well the actually API description is a bit fuzzy.  But generally your
description is what most providers do.

ActiveMQ implements it this way too. Notice that if you client does a
createQueue() but never sends a message to that queue, the queue is
NOT physically created.

> that a topic actually gets created for other JMS users to see and pub/sub
> to.  It seems as though ActiveMQ implements these methods the way the API
> describes the createTemporaryTopic() should be implemented.  Am I not
> undertanding something here?

What ActiveMQ does is create destinations on demand by default.  So
when a message is sent to a non-existent destination, it auto-creates
the destination.  But it only gets created if the user has permission
to create the destination... which in the default configuration all
users can create any destination.

Make more sense?